Completed applications for admission are first reviewed by the Ph.D. Program Committee and then by the faculty members in the applicant’s chosen field of study. The Ph.D. Committee ensures the minimum admission requirements set by the Sabanci Graduate Business School have been met and that an appropriate advisor is available in the student’s declared field of research. Designated faculty members interview the strongest applicants in person or if infeasible, by phone before making a final decision. Admission is finalized by the SBS management’s approval of the Ph.D. Committee recommendation and announced to the applicants.
Doctoral program candidates are expected to demonstrate an excellent academic performance in their undergraduate/graduate studies, possess competitive GMAT/GRE and TOEFL scores, and communicate their motivation to undertake advanced level studies in our Ph.D. program. All stages of the program require participants’ full-time involvement and commitment. Except for the Action Research concentration, our Ph.D. program does not allow the students to work part time during their tenure at the SBS.
* The candidates having a master’s degree from a domestic university prior to admission must hold an “MA with Thesis” diploma to be considered as master’s students, whose program requirements are different from those having undergraduate or masters without thesis degrees. The candidates whose diplomas or transcripts do not indicate such information must provide an official letter from their diploma issuing institutions.
- Online Application Form: Candidates can apply to only one Ph.D. program concentration.
For online application please click here
- Official Transcripts: Candidates should be uploaded their official transcripts under "Documents" in the online application system, it has to be issued by the Student Affairs unit of their universities and preferably placed in sealed envelopes, for their previous undergraduate/graduate studies.
- Minimum GPA Requirement: Candidates applying for the Ph.D. Program with an undergraduate degree must hold a GPA of at least 3.00 out of 4.00. The candidates who graduated from a university that use a different grading scale, must provide a conversion table or an official letter from their institutions explaining their grading system.
Students with “Masters without thesis” degrees may be admitted to the program as master’s students if they received their degrees prior to February 6th, 2013. In this case, students should submit an official document from their institutions, certifying that they have already been enrolled to the “Non-thesis” program before February 6th, 2013.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Two letters of recommendation, written by individuals who can assess the applicant's professional potential, motivation and commitment to attend and successfully complete our program are required. Click here to download the Recommendation Letter Form.
The letters should either be submitted online by the reference provider. After you complete your online application, an email will be sent automatically to your recommendation letter providers. The recommenders can click the link in that email to submit their recommendation letters online.
- One Photograph: Candidates must upload a passport - size photo to the online system.
- Official GMAT/GRE/GAT and ALES scores: Candidates should upload their scores from one of the following tests to the online system.Original copies should be submitted before admission. If applicants want ETS to send their scores directly to the SBS, they should use our institution number 7100. For detailed information, please visit www.mba.com.
- GMAT: Minimum score 600
- ALES or e-ALES (Equal weight): Minimum score 82
- GRE (Quantitative): Minimum score 157
- GAT (Accumulative Percentile) for international students only: Minimum score 60%
- English Proficiency: For Ph.D. admissions, applicants must achieve the minimum required scores from a central foreign language exam recognized by the Turkish Council of Higher Education (YÖK) or the equivalent in an international language proficiency exam recognized by the ÖSYM Board. The native language of the applicant is not considered as a foreign language. (Please click here for the ÖSYM’s language exam crosswalk)
Original copies will be requested for registration in the case of admission.
The following table shows the valid exams and the minimum required scores.
UDS, KPDS, YDS, e-YDS, YÖKDİL
TOEFL and PTE scores are valid for two years since the latest exam date; CPE and CAE scores are valid for three years; e-YDS, YDS, KPDS and ÜDS scores are valid for five years.
*If you submit TOEFL IBT, PTE Academic, CAE or CPE scores and take these exams in Turkey, the exam center must be located in a state university building (According to Article 6.3.d of Instruction letter for Foreign Language Exam Equivalencies issued by the Centre for Selection and Placement of Students).
Due to YOK regulations: if a candidate possesses proficiency in a foreign language other than English and his/her native language, and is able to demonstrate proficiency in this language through valid exam scores, the candidate is not required to include English exam test scores in his/her application package. In this case, one of the two conditions must be satisfied for admission:
a. The applicant must take Sabanci University’s English Language Assessment Exam (ELAE) if s/he is accepted to the program. The candidates who fail to get a satisfactory score in the ELAE exam are obliged to attend and successfully complete a full course of English Language Preparation before taking any graduate courses. Failure to complete the English course requirement will result in dismissal from the program.
b. The applicant must have graduated from one of the Sabanci University’s academic programs within the past two years of the program registration application deadline.
- Statement of purpose: It should be uploaded under "Documents" in the online application system. It has to be maximum three page essay describing their reasons for deciding to pursue doctoral studies in their chosen area, their research interests, and their goals and plans for the future.
- Curriculum Vitae: Candidates must submit an up to date Curriculum Vitae. It should be uploaded under "Documents" in the online application system. Which has to be their education and work experience, awards and distinctions and any other information they feel would support their application. The applicant's mailing and e-mail addresses and phone and fax numbers should be provided on the first page.
- Applicants that are already enrolled in an academic program must complete their degree program requirements before enrolling in the Ph.D. program (i.e., the registration period).
- Late applications or applications sent though emails will not be considered.
Click here to download the Application Guidelines document.
Read this document carefully before creating an on-line application.
You will also need the Recommendation Letter Form.
Click here to download the Recommendation Letter Form.
When you are ready, create an on-line application from the link below.
Click here to reach online application procedure.
Application Addres :
Applications should be submitted via online application system only. Applications sent via e mail cannot be evaluated.
We would like to remind you that if you get admitted, originals of all official documents required to be submitted during university registrations.
- Early Application Deadline : June 12,2020 *
- Application Deadline : August 18,2020
* Candidates with full application documents will be evaluated in the weeks following June 12.