Completed applications for admission are first reviewed by the Ph.D. Program Committee and then by the faculty members in the applicant’s chosen field of study. The Ph.D. Committee ensures the minimum admission requirements set by the Sabanci Graduate Business School have been met and that an appropriate advisor is available in the student’s declared field of research. Designated faculty members interview the strongest applicants in person or if infeasible, by phone before making a final decision. Admission is finalized by the SBS management’s approval of the Ph.D. Committee recommendation and announced to the applicants.
Doctoral program candidates are expected to demonstrate an excellent academic performance in their undergraduate/graduate studies, possess competitive GMAT/GRE and TOEFL scores, and communicate their motivation to undertake advanced level studies in our Ph.D. program. All stages of the program require participants’ full-time involvement and commitment. Our Ph.D. program does not allow the students to work part time during their tenure at the SBS.
* The candidates having a master’s degree from a domestic university prior to admission must hold an “MA with Thesis” diploma to be considered as master’s students, whose program requirements are different from those having undergraduate or masters without thesis degrees. The candidates whose diplomas or transcripts do not indicate such information must provide an official letter from their diploma issuing institutions.
1. Online Application Form:
If all your documents below are ready, then go to the online application. For online application link, click here
2. Official Transcript:
An official document issued by the registrar of the candidate's previous institution showing all courses taken and grades received by the candidate. It must be uploaded under “Documents” in the online application system.
• Candidates applying for the Ph.D. Program with a BA degree must hold a minimum of 3.00/4.00 GPA. The candidates graduated from institutions which apply a scale other than “X out of 4.00” system must provide a conversion table or an official letter of evidence from their institutions.
3. Two Letters of Recommendation:
The candidate must upload the contact information of his/her two reference to the online application form.
The writers of recommendation letters are expected to upload them to the online system. When the application is completed, a link will be emailed to the email addresses indicated in the “Recommenders” section of the online application system for them to upload their recommendation letters.
The reference letters uploaded by the candidate are invalid.
Please check here for Recommendation Letter Sample.
4. One Photograph:
Candidates must upload a passport-sized photo to the online system.
5. Statement of Personal and Professional Purpose:
Letter in English explaining the candidate's intention to apply to the relevant program. It must not exceed 2 pages and it must be uploaded under "Documents" in the online application system.
6. Result for Graduate Program Entrance Exam:
Candidates should upload their scores from one of the following tests to the online system. Original copies should be submitted before admission. If applicants want ETS to send their scores directly to the SBS, they should use our institution number 7100. For detailed information, please visit www.mba.com.
- GMAT: Minimum score 600 or
- ALES or e-ALES (Equal weight): Minimum score 82 or
- GRE (Quantitative): Minimum score 157 or
- GAT: Accumulative Test Score (Subject Test): Minimum 82
Note: GMAT, GRE, ALES, e-ALES are valid for five years, GAT is valid for two years.
• The score obtained in the exam must be written in the relevant part of the online system and the document showing the declared exam result must be uploaded to the "Documents" section of the online application system.
• Exam result must be valid as of the application deadline.
• Exam results must be announced by the application deadline. Exams announced after the deadline will not be taken into consideration.
• The ALES exam is determined as 70 to be evaluated in the applications of the graduates of the Ph.D. / proficiency in art / specialty in medicine / specialty in dentistry / specialty in veterinary medicine / specialty in pharmacy to graduate programs. This score is directly included in the calculations.
7. Graduate Diploma with Thesis for Candidates who will apply to the Ph.D. Program with a Master’s Diploma:
• Candidates applying for the Ph.D. Program with a Master degree must hold an “Master with Thesis” degree.
• Candidates whose diplomas or transcripts do not contain such information must provide an official letter of evidence from their institutions.
• Holders of “Non-thesis Master degree” may apply to Ph.D. program only upon submission of an official document from their institutions, certifying that they have already been enrolled to the “Non-thesis” program before February 6th, 2013.
8. Foreign Language Exam Certificate:
Candidates applying to Ph. D. Program must present proof of proficiency in a language other than their native language. Candidates are expected to have obtained a minimum score in a central foreign language examination or an international examination recognized by the Turkish Council of Higher Education (YÖK), or an international foreign language exam recognized by the Turkish Measuring, Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM). Please click here for ÖSYM-recognized foreign language tests.
a. Candidates must submit score sheets which prove that they meet the minimum English proficiency score indicated in the below table:
|Accepted Language Exams||TOEFL IBT |
(Best score is not accepted)
|Validity||2 years||5 years|
b. The medium of instruction at Sabancı University is English. Therefore, candidates who submit proof of proficiency in a language other than English must also prove their proficiency in English. To do so, one of the conditions below must be met. Please note that this section applies only to candidates who submit proof of proficiency in a foreign language other than English.
• Candidates must submit score sheets which prove that they meet the minimum English proficiency score indicated in the above table.
• Graduates of Sabancı University are exempt from submitting an English Proficiency Exam score provided that they apply within 2 years of their graduation. Period between graduation date from the previous program and registration date to the new program should be maximum 2 years.
• Candidates who are not exempt from English proficiency requirements and cannot present an English proficiency exam score sheet will be expected to take the Sabancı University English Language Assessment Exam (ELAE) held after the application deadline. The candidates outside the city or abroad are also expected to take the exam. It is recommended that candidates should learn the ELAE exam date from the announcements or ask to Student Resources. The ELAE exam invitation is sent to such candidates by email. There will be no make up for ELAE exam.
• Turkish candidates with dual citizenship are required to submit a valid language exam result certificate as they are subject to the conditions of application as a Turkish citizen.
• Candidates who cannot meet the English proficiency criterion will be required to complete the English preparatory year to continue their Ph.D. program. However, there are no scholarships available for the preparatory year, and thus such candidates will be required to pay the full tuition fee.
c. The Sabancı University English Language Assessment Exam ELAE Score Sheet does not qualify as a “Proof of Foreign Language Proficiency” under Ph.D. admission requirements. However, candidates who submit proof of proficiency in a language other than English may take the ELAE to meet the English proficiency requirement.
d. Exam results must be announced by the application deadline. Results that are announced after the application deadline will not be considered.
e. The “Proof of Language Proficiency” requirement also applies to candidates who are Sabancı University graduates.
f. Please enter your score in the corresponding field in the online system and upload your score sheet under Documents.
g. If you submit TOEFL IBT, PTE Academic, CAE or CPE scores and take these exams in Turkey, the exam center must be a state university building. (According to Article 6.3.d of Instruction letter for Foreign Language Exam Equivalencies issued by the Centre for Selection and Placement of Students)
9. Curriculum Vitae:
Candidates must submit an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (resume). It should be uploaded under "Documents" in the online application system.
• Ph.D. Program applicants must hold an undergraduate or master's diploma.
• Applicants must complete their previous degree programs by the registration period at the latest.
• Applications must be submitted via online application system only. Applications sent via e-mail cannot be evaluated.
• We would like to remind you that if you get admitted, originals of all official documents required to be submitted during university registrations.
Click here to download the Application Guidelines document.
Read this document carefully before creating an on-line application.
You will also need the Recommendation Letter Form.
Click here to download the Recommendation Letter Form.
When you are ready, create an on-line application from the link below.
Click here to reach online application procedure.
Application Addres :
Applications should be submitted via online application system only. Applications sent via e mail cannot be evaluated.
We would like to remind you that if you get admitted, originals of all official documents required to be submitted during university registrations.
- Early Application Deadline : March 25, 2022 *
- Application Deadline : June 3, 2022
* Candidates with full application documents will be evaluated in the weeks following March 25